Friday, October 3, 2008

I Love Some Things

I try very hard to control my tendency towards materialism, but I must admit that there are some things that I LOVE. These are Things-with-a-capital-T because I really really like them. I don't really want to live without them. Is that so wrong?

So here are my top five Things:

1. My Bob Duallie Ironman Stroller.

Yes, it's true. My number one Thing is a STROLLER. How can it be? Well, if I didn't have this three-wheeled wonder, my bottom would be parked at home instead of running four mornings a week. And therefore, said bottom would be larger than it currently is. Ben loves to run. I love to run. The Ironman makes us both happy. This morning at 6:30, we spent four miles greeting the dawn. It was perfect. Thank you, Bob.
2. My Garmin Forerunner 305.

(This pic is actually the 205, but they look nearly the same.) Why do I love this watchy Thing? Well, before I owned it, I spent a lot of time driving over courses, trying to determine a new 3 mile route, or a six mile route or whatever. It took time. It took gas. My kids thought I was weird, driving up and down street after street. But now I have my little GPS unit telling me how far I've gone, how slow I'm going, and how way-too-fast my heart rate is. I love this watch. It is my friend.
3. My camera.

I just love my camera. I love it. I love its lenses, too, but I didn't list them today. It feels so good to hold you, camera dear. Thanks for all the fun.
4. My iMac.

I've converted wholeheartedly. iLife Suite, I love you, too. Sorry, brothers. I know you love your PCs, but Mac and I will live happily ever after.
5. My Yamaha U1.

I shouldn't be rude about this. It's ungrateful. I have a love/hate relationship with my Yamaha U1. I love him because he's a reliable, dutiful friend. He mostly stays in tune. His touch is not too hard, not too soft. We have had a lot of great times over the years, and he's made me lots of money. BUT...
He's not a Steinway. Or even a C3. So, I love him, but I'll dump him as soon as I can get my hands on something better. Sorry, U1. You deserve someone who'll love you for who you are. Maybe one day, but until then, I'll treat you mostly right (tunings twice a year, polishing when I get around to it. You know the drill.)

So these are my Favorite Things. Maybe if I'm sincerely grateful for them, I won't fall into the materialism trap? I can hope, anyway.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

I too love a good jogger; and now I'm in the market for a double. Thanks for the tip.

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

I envy your jogger, don't relate to the love of your piano, but I LOVE my Garmin, imac, and camera!!! Just trying to keep up with the Green's!!! (I typed this comment earlier and didn't like how I worded it, so I deleted it. Sorry-I'm lame!)

Becky said...

Kerri, I am posting this very comment on my amazing iMac. I've been on board about 5 years now. Never to return! hahahahah - those nerd brothers of yours have no idea what they are missing.

Becky said...

That was Brett by the way, guess my wife was signed in. My fault, not my Mac's...

Malisa said...

What an interesting post. We didn't bring the Bob on the trip. I do miss it, but the storage on the old one we're using is much larger, which I guess is better for the trip. Also, we don't have ANY GPS to use since...oh yeah, they were STOLEN.

Um...the Mac? Someday maybe. Remember my husband is a PC Programmer. (Surprisingly enough he's up for the idea of me getting my own Mac. But, I think it'll have to wait until we recover from the $3,500 loss we've just suffered. Sigh.)