Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Requiem for a Goldfish

True confessions...

1. Rainbow was not a goldfish, but a mean ol' beta.
2. He's been dying for more than 2 months now, and every morning one of us would run to the bowl and say, "Is he dead yet?" then tap the bowl until the nearly dead fish would move a fin or rise from the bottom.
3. I nearly decided to just flush him down the toilet in his un-dead state because a nearly dead fish is no fun.
4. Did I just say a nearly dead fish is no fun? I meant that a FISH is no fun.
5. I want to flush him. Sophie wants to plant him. In the ground. In February. She liked the Incredible Living Fish.
6. I never liked him.

So now the Greenhouse is down to three pets: one old nearly DEAF (not dead) dog with hip problems and skin growths and terrifically bad breath, and two guinea pigs, one that I love and one that I don't love as much. The fish demanded the least attention, but certainly gave the least love. The old sweet dog takes the most effort, but gives the most love.



Pets are work and pets can be really truly gross, but most of the time I think they're worth it. My children love them and have learned important lessons from them. And you know, sometimes we all need a smelly old dog to come over and love us when we're feeling blue.

No comments: