Monday, September 29, 2008

Aargh.

You know what I hate? When I can't really tell if my kids are sick enough to stay home from school or not. And my regrets when I make the wrong decision. It's bad either way. Either they are too sick to go to school, so you lose if you send them, or they're not sick enough to stay home, but you're not sure at 8:00 am, and you keep them home, only to find out that they're just grumpy as sin and ready to make life miserable. They're apparently fine enough to play all day, but when you ask them to do their practicing, they act like you just asked them to climb Mt. Everest. "I'm SO SICK. MY WHOLE BODY ACHES. I just feel AWFUL."

Can you guess which way my day went?

Grump grump grump grump grump.

There. I feel better. Next time I'm sticking with the house rule: If you don't have a fever and you're not puking, you're going to school.

3 comments:

Hayes Family said...

I hate that too Kerri, just tell them what I tell my kids. You're gonna feel icky at school and icky at home, you need to go to school.

Our EyreLife said...

My mom was genious when it came to this. The rule was this:

If you are going to stay home, you get such-and-such amount of time to stay in bed, such-and-such amount of time in front of the TV, and such-and-such amount of time doing chores around the house. I never stayed home if I wasn't REALLY sick because after a while, I learned that the chores I'd have to do were MUCH WORSE than if I would have gone to school.

If we were undoubtedly sick, though, rules changed. My mom was always brilliant.

Hope your babies are feeling better, though. We're dealing with all those bugs these days, too. Yuck.

Danielle said...

I wish there was some magic litmus test for true sickness. (Here spit on this paper strip and I'll tell you if you're staying home!) I have the same dilemma all the time and I'm never quite sure what to do. Usually I'm the mean mom that says,"Go to school. If you feel sick later call and I'll get you." Those poor ladies in the school office probably think I'm clueless.