Monday, September 21, 2009

A Decade of Drama

Sophie made her entrance into the world at 9:17 pm on 9-17-99. She arrived 45 minutes after our arrival at the hospital. No time for drugs. No time for preparation. Just time to put on the Mozart CD, for David to grab the camera from the car, and for me to scream a bunch.


I don't know how the world turned so long without her in it.




Sophie has been begging (without cessation) for months (for years) to get her ears pierced. I've been planning to let her get her ears pierced on her tenth birthday. I wanted to surprise her by taking her out of school for lunch and a kid date and then the ear-piercing-extravaganza. Unfortunately, she pushed my buttons so badly one day ("WHY can't I have my ears pierced? WHY? Just give me three reasons!!! OK, give me three more! Those aren't good enough! Why don't you trust me?") that I spilled the beans just so she would let it rest. She was very excited. She let it rest. I wish I had told her months ago.

I stole her away from school and she chose Subway for lunch.



(I love these kids. How cute are they?)

Then it was off to Claire's. (Does anyone else think it's strange that most of us get our ears pierced at a tacky accessory store?)





She chose earrings with her birthstone (sapphire) and was very brave.

We brought brownies back to school. She chose pulled pork sandwiches for dinner and her traditional choice of cake (poppy seed bundt cake) for the cake and ice cream festivities that night.



I've said it before and I'll say it again: Life would be deadly boring without my Sophie. I love her intensity, her bright mind, her lovely voice, her sweetness with Ben, her questions about life. She brightens the space she occupies. The world changed for the better a decade ago, and I've been blessed to witness it.

9 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Awww. Happy Birthday! She is adorable in every way, and I can tell she is a lot of fun to have around!

I'm glad she was brave for the ear piercing. When Bria had hers done it was an ORDEAL.

Danielle said...

Sophie and Sarah ARE a lot alike. They both came into the world quickly (with guns blazing), and they both chose pulled pork for dinner! Sophie is beautiful. Tell her she's lucky to have such a cool mom...Sarah has to wait until she's 12 for the ear piercing.

Stephanie said...

What a sweet post. I can't believe how grown up she looks. Such a beautiful young lady! Happy birthday Sophie!

Lori Mills said...

She's looks so much like you in some of those photos!

Gaylene said...

I love these pix of Sophie. It took me right back to when she was born! She is a beautiful girl, has a wonderful spirit about her, no doubt loves her brothers and sister and she will be sorely missed here in Grandview 2nd Ward!

Katie M said...

These photos are awesome. Getting your ears pierced is a BIG deal. I remember the incessant begging.

Camille said...

Happy birthday, Sophie! (And I'm really sorry that on that one day last spring when Annie was going potty at your house during choir practice, and I needed a clean diaper and some wipes, I kept calling you Kate. No wonder you didn't respond! I quickly learned better and won't ever forget again! You were a great help, too -- Thanks again!)

Amber said...

What a girl! She seems like a fab daughter...tons of fun! She's tough to still smile like that after the ears are pierced. Bravo Sophie!

Janae said...

Oh Kerri. I just LOVE reading your blog!!! You are truely gifted with words my dear cuz. Happy Birthday Sophie!! I remember before she was born that you were going to name her Felicity. Why? Not sure. She really looks like a sophie!!