Monday, August 18, 2008

The End of Summer Blues

Yeah, I only had five hours of sleep last night, but I still think I'd feel blah today. This is the last week of summer! How could it be true? Last night as I listened to Ben scream for two hours (aarrgh), I began thinking about all the things I did not do this summer.

1. Camp. Not even one night.
2. Organize my desk.
3. Get Josh and Sophie's piano skills to a much higher level. I think they need a teacher other than me.
4. Lose those last five pre-Ben pounds.
5. Organize my laundry room.
6. Plan wonderful, memory-making events for the whole neighborhood.
7. Relearn and memorize 5-10 significant piano pieces
8. Hike weekly.
9. Get my hair cut shorter, cuter, and hipper.
10. Go to more than one Deer Valley concert.
11. Organize all my photos.
12. Organize all my home videos.

Oh, I could go on and on, but it's a little depressing.

What I DID do:

1. Went to Idaho.
2. Went to California.
3. Allowed the kids to play too much Wii.
4. Started adding back the running miles.
5. Won the Youngberg 5K. (ha ha)
6. Took the kids on more outings than ever.
7. Actually quit teaching.
8. Started practicing again (you should hear my Chopin Scherzo...it's coming along!)
9. Helped Ben learn to sleep a LITTLE better on his own.
10. Took the kids to the pool more than ever.
11. Helped Kate do very well with piano (hooray for her fantastic teacher).
12. Survived. And while some days were horrifically hard, some days were perfectly joyful. Ain't that the way it goes?

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'm so glad you listed the things you DID do, because you're an amazing mother and friend!!! And we did have some really fun nights out on the front lawn... OREOS, badminton, bike riding, Chad and Kate having nice long chats together on the swing...Priceless!! We're so lucky to have you guys as friends! And...Thanksgiving Point was a blast! I'm so glad we went! Hope you get feeling better!

Shannon said...

Ah, Kerri, sounds like the things you did do were great! I'd say you should be happy with what you accomplished. And I have 10 pre-Lexi pounds to lose still if that makes you feel any better. :P