Thursday, August 8, 2013

Discoveries

1. Wendell Berry.

Our ward book club is reading Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry. I only knew Wendell Berry as a poet (I especially love this poem) and was excited to discover that this book is sweet and beautiful. How fun to know that there are so many more of his novels to read.

2. Greek yogurt.

Be honest. Didn't you think it was just terrible the first time you ate it? I mean, seriously. I tried it in Costco one day a couple of years ago and thought 'What the heck?' But finally that high protein content drew me in, and I have discovered that I can acquire a taste for many things. I now love it and eat it every day like this: yogurt, frozen berries, a little honey, and dry oats. Super super good. And really very healthy. So yay.

3. Memorizing scriptures.

It's a super good thing to do. It really really is.

4. Transformation.

I didn't ever think I'd be this person: someone who talks about Greek yogurt and the joys of memorizing scripture. But here I am. I'm 41, and I don't recognize myself when I look at myself through my daughter's eyes. To her, I'm an adult who should have it all together. To me, I'm this person still trying to figure it all out, even though I thought I would be perfect by now, if I ever even considered that one day I would actually be 41. I'm sure I assumed that surely I would be perpetually youthful. Alas, I am not. But since transformation is apparently not only possible, but inevitable, I might as well choose the end of my transformation. Lately I've been thinking the end Kerri will be dull, fat, and provincial, based on my ridiculous habits. I think, however, I will choose to be lively, active, compassioonate, involved and interested. I think I would like to transform into an older woman with those traits. I just don't think I can handle my hair graying, my waist thickening any more than it already has, or more wrinkles taking over. Oh well...better to transform gracefully than to fight it tooth and nail and nip and tuck.

5. Feelings aren't reality.

They're just feelings. And often feelings are based on something so far from reality as to be laughable. I continue to work on separating my feelings from my rational brain. This is not easy doe me, (and this is where I fell asleep, as you can see.)

6. Writing just before bed makes for a kinked neck when you fall asleep in the middle of a post...

3 comments:

Megan Goates said...

Oh my friend! You are so real and funny and witty and adorable. So glad you're back to blogging so I get to enjoy Kerri more.

Kerri said...

Megan, can I keep you on retainer for those days I need a friendly boost? I just love you.

The Dances said...

Berries in plain greek yogurt saved me when I had gestational diabetes. I love it with honey, but that was a no-no with the GD. Yay for blogging again!