Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Life Has Loveliness to Sell



Life has loveliness to sell,
All beautiful and splendid things,
Blue waves whitened on a cliff,
Soaring fire that sways and sings,
And children's faces looking up,
Holding wonder like a cup.

Life has loveliness to sell,
Music like a curve of gold,
Scent of pine trees in the rain,
Eyes that love you, arms that hold,
And for your spirit's still delight,
Holy thoughts that star the night.

Spend all you have for loveliness,
Buy it and never count the cost;
For one white singing hour of peace
Count many a year of strife well lost,
And for a breath of ecstacy
Give all you have been, or could be.

-Sara Teasdale


I love this poem, with its gentle reminder that loveliness is found in large and simple things. I have found that loveliness in Ben's pats on my back, in finding the right low leaping left hand octaves, in hearing the Spirit and listening. It is in my dog resting her head on my knee when I'm feeling especially low, in David's sweet text messages, in my childrens' faces in candlelight. It is in reconnecting with those I hold dear, in running at dawn, in finding my pillow at the end of an everlong day.

Life has loveliness to sell. Find it. Recognize it. Buy it.

4 comments:

Megan B. said...

That's such a cute picture, and a beautiful poem. Thanks for the reminder!

Tracy said...

Oh Kerri - I loved this post - THANK YOU so much! I really loved it.

Gaylene said...

What a wonderful poem. It's perfect

bradandstaci said...

Thanks for sharing such wonderful thoughts!