Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Kate's Treat


So Kate had a recital Friday night, and per tradition, got to choose a treat to celebrate. I suggested stopping at the grocery store for ice cream to share with the family, since the other kids all stayed home. She thought that was great, as long as she could choose cookie dough ice cream.

Once we picked up the ice cream, she asked if she could get one of "those green things that are dark green on the outside and light green on the inside." You know, a cucumber. Did you get it? It took me a while, too. She had had one at school that week when they talked about the Food Guide Pyramid and sampled foods from the food groups, and she loved it. (And yes, I have indeed served cucumbers at dinner. They're not foreign to our table, but apparently they have been off her radar until now.)

So we bought our ice cream and her cucumber and went home. I dished up ice cream to four happy kids, and they dug in.

After eating a few bites, Kate says, "Mom, where's my cucumber?"

I said, "Do you want it NOW?"

She said, "Yes! For my treat!"

So I peeled part of the cucumber, and she proceeded to down it. Half a cucumber. With her cookie dough ice cream.

That Kate...she's one in a million.

6 comments:

Amber said...

Wow--a kid wanting a vegetable with the ice cream. That is amazing! I'm so impressed. Maybe kids do learn important things in schools these days after all!!

Gaylene said...

Way to go Kate---I love Cucumbers. Very tasty. Sometimes I would rather hav cucumbers than Ice cream!

The Dunham Family said...

You should introduce her to gelato. I am sure they have it in cucumber flavor.

Danielle said...

What an example of good public education! Sarah's class made a "Friendship Salad" where each kid brought some fruit. Sarah wouldn't eat it because it was called salad.

Malisa said...

You've served cucumbers with dinner before? Very impressive!

Austin and Leslie said...

That's awesome