Wednesday, March 18, 2009

On Perfectionism

Every second Wednesday morning, you will find me in Kate's kindergarten class. It's Mommy Helper day, and while I am tired by the end of it (bless you, all you teachers. You amaze me), I am also surprised at the insights into humanity I receive while watching children learn. It's not as in your face as being in the junior high lunchroom, of course, but MAN, there is a lot of variety in our souls, isn't there?

Today, my job was to help make a butterfly mobile. Each child was to trace a small, a medium, and a large butterfly onto construction paper, cut out the butterflies, and decorate them in a symmetrical way. Simple enough? For most of the kids, six months into kindergarten, yes. But there was one incident that still has me thinking.

A. is a beautiful boy with lashes that I might kill for. I've never noticed anything unusual about him until today. But when it was time to trace his butterfly, he came unglued, over and over again.

"I can't DO this."

"Will you do this FOR me?"

"I CAN'T DO THIS!"

He would trace over the same section of wing, and anytime his finger moved the diecut he was tracing, he tried to put it right back into place and then retrace that same section.

I said, "Hey, A., it's okay if the tracing isn't perfect. It's really fine if you just try your best."

He said, "NO. It has to be PERFECT. It's not GOOD ENOUGH"

We had the same conversation six or seven times. He kept asking if I would do it for him, and I kept saying, "Let's just ignore the problems and try again," and he would tell me that he wanted it just right. It couldn't be messy.

By the end of the third butterfly, A. was in tears, and I wanted to throw my arms around him, put him on my lap, and hug him tight. I wondered what impulse was making him feel that perfection was the only option. I wanted to heal him of it and watch him do as sloppy a job as most of the other kindergarten boys had done. I wanted him to enjoy just the effort of trying and to forget about being perfect. After all, the end result was not the important thing...it was the process that was important.

As I struggled to communicate to A. that "good enough" can really BE good enough, I felt a strong impulse come over me, an understanding that my Heavenly Father feels the same way about me. How often have I struggled with a feeling of inferiority because of my lack of perfection? How often have I cried and struggled and yelled that I wasn't GOOD ENOUGH? I'm sure Heavenly Father has wanted to throw His arms around me, hold me tight and let me know that he just wants me to give it a good effort, and if necessary, grace will make up for the rest.

Sweet A. He finally finished his butterflies, and they were pretty darned good. I can guarantee that they were certainly good enough.

7 comments:

Malisa said...

This makes me think about your upcoming recital. Yep.

Philocrites said...

This is a lovely reflection, Kerri- and one I will hold onto as I work on my prospectus! Chris tells me, "The perfect is the enemy of the good." perhpas not helpful for A., but a good reminder to me. (Regina)

The Dunham Family said...

You are such a good woman. So caring and sweet and compassionate.
If it was me, I would have just told him "just do it!"
Poor And....

Seriously, you are great!

Amber said...

Dang, Kerri! I need to call you in my daily moments of imperfection and have you treat me as tenderly as you treated "A". I would have held it for him on the second try! What a push over I am!!

Camilla Millar said...

What a great teaching moment. . . .do you care if I link to if from the Spiritual Reflections Blog? (do you want to be an author there?)

http:spiritualreflectionseveryday.blogspot.com

tonandboys said...

This what just "exactly" what I needed today. I think I shall re-read it everyday for a while. Thank you for sharing it.

The Dances said...

Thanks for this post. It can be applied in so many different areas of life, especially life for me currently. It was very thought provoking, and I enjoyed reading it. We're looking forward to the next time you are all down here. Have a great weekend.