Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Things I Can't Live Without (for Now)

1. Super glue
It keeps my fingers from bleeding all over the keys.

2. Aveeno lotion
It helps me need less super glue. It's the only lotion I've found that I'll actually use more than once in a day. I hate greasy lotions, I hate smelly lotions, and I hate lotions that don't work.

3. My piano

4. My friends
I love having people who know everything (OK, ALMOST everything) about me who love me anyway, who understand that sometimes I'm a flake, sometimes I'm super busy, sometimes I need to talk RIGHT NOW, and most of the time I'll manage to be there for them, too, but will forgive me if I blow it. You guys are lifesavers. Seriously.

5. Bedtime for the munchkins
It's about the only time I'm getting really solid, long practicing done. I'm doing my technique and some run-through stuff during the day, but the solid stuff is happening late into the night. I'm not sure that's the best thing for my memory, considering that I'm slightly more brain dead at night, but I'll take what I can get!

6. David's support
David is being so incredibly cool about the time this recital preparation is taking. He is not only understanding about my evening practice hours, but he says nice things about listening to me practice, too. I could NOT be doing this without his willingness, and I'm incredibly grateful.

The things that I AM living without (for now) include:

1. A spotless house (it's actually not terrible, but it's certainly not the super-organized home I envisioned when I quit teaching).

2. Reading
Honestly, I have never read so little in my entire life. I think I've only read six or seven books this entire year. It's crazy. Piano and running have taken over my spare time, I'm afraid. I also decided I only want to read books that I REALLY like this year. I don't have time to waste on stupid books.

3. Photography
It's just not happening right now. I don't know if I've taken a picture since we got back from California.

The things that I will need to catch up on as soon as the recital is over:

1. Taxes (Aargh!)

2. Organizing (Double aargh!)

3. Giving back to all those people who've helped ME.

4. About a million things that have fallen through the cracks. I hope you'll forgive me, if one of those things that has fallen through the cracks has impacted you. I recognize that I've been living a bit in my own little world, but April 7 is right around the corner...

3 comments:

Camille said...

When I get project-oriented, I'm in the same boat. I just don't post about it - way to go! And, good luck!

Our EyreLife said...

So, what if I want to come to your recital? How do I get the backstage passes?

Debbie and Boys said...

I'm distantly admiring your drive to bring yourself back to great familiarization with your piano "love affair"!
Anyways, don't know if this will help but when my fingers crack and bleed and thus make it painful to play, I cut sugar out of my diet and it totally helps them heal. Just an idea. Weird huh?