Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Heaven Help Us. There's a Teenager in the House.



Josh is THIRTEEN today. He really truly is. And just to make matters worse, he got a CELL PHONE for his birthday.

A teenager with a cellphone.

He wasn't always a teenager. Once he was a little tiny blond boy with curls who played with imaginary friends, loved puddles, and ate quesadillas, eggnog, pancakes, and not much else. We went to the library twice a week. He loved hanging out with his friend Mathew. He loved work trucks of all varieties.

And now he's a teenager. He loves hamburgers (they used to make him gag), pizza, and pie. He plays the cello and the piano. He likes tennis and skiing. He adores soccer. He loves little children, especially babies, and they love him. He reads too late at night. He sometimes gives us attitude. He often makes us laugh. And did I mention he now has a cell phone?

My mother-in-law tells me that she loved having teenagers, that she missed them when they grew up and moved out of the house. She also tells me that she was terribly sad at the end of summer vacation when they went back to school. Here's hoping that I'll feel the same way for the next six years. I really really really love this kid. I hope he maneuvers his way through these tricky years with grace, good friends, a lot of fun, and few major mistakes. I hope we're all living at the end of it. And I hope he doesn't go over his text message limit.

12 comments:

Danielle said...

I remember that little blond kid. I loved when he and Lizzie would play house. He would be the super-hero dad and she would be the mom. Talk about adaptable!

Camille said...

Happy birthday, Josh! I shouldn't tell him that he's way cute and better be good about the girls that've been swooning over him since... And, nice haircut!

Camille said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Camille said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lara Neves said...

Don't you hate it when they go and grow up on you?

He is sure a handsome kid...happy birthday to him!

Good luck with the cell phone!

Laurel said...

what is his number so I can text him???

Amber said...

First, that boy is going to be a heartbreaker! And the fact that he loves babies...well, like I said, heartbreaker. I would like your recipe for sweet kids. If not, when he is tough, I will adopt him.

Liz said...

We love, love, love that boy, too! My boys sure look up to him! He IS SO DANG CUTE with Alison...I can't stand it! We loved celebrating with you tonight!

Our EyreLife said...

He's one handsome kid and I just bet he'll be a joy to have around--as your ma-in-law suggests. He's a good kid. You're lucky---and/or just really good at raising kids.

I'm impressed that he hasn't already gotten a cell phone. I have tiny kids in my ward and that I coach who are no older than 6 who already carry around their own cell phones. Now THAT is scary.

I could have a whole soap box about that, but I won't talk about it here. Glad to know you're at least keeping his technological advancement going at a decent rate.

Big hugs and happy birthday to Josh!

Gaylene said...

What a "good looking young man" he is. Teenager---yikes!!! Does that mean we are old? Well I am. I remember when he was born and to look at that toddler picture, are you sure you didn't switch pictures with Ben's? You are lucky to have him, he is a great kid--whoops, teenager.

bradandstaci said...

Oh Josh!!! I cannot believe it!!! Happy Birthday! It was so fun to see you guys at the reunion!

teenager said...

Teenagers: Hurrincanes energy, Bundles of joy, Centers of attention.