Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Midsummer Day's Musings

It must be said: It's been a lovely summer so far. We've had lots of little pleasures (neighborhood barbecues, swimming, trips to the library) and some big pleasures (the Wasatch Back, staying at Stein Eriksen in Park City last weekend, having visiting family (Bri, Celia, Brent), the Green reunion, and Kurt and Ash moving to SLC).

And then my neighbor Joni said this morning that school starts four weeks from yesterday. Four weeks? Four? As in FOUR? First of all, this week is nearly OVER. Then we have next week. Then Josh goes to Scout Camp for the following week. Then we go to California for my tenth (OK, my 20th) high school reunion. Then SCHOOL STARTS.

School starting has its charms. Monday was one of those days that I thought would put me under. If you read my blog on Google Reader, you already know that after my very honest post about my very loud screaming. I think my chest still hurts from screaming. I deleted the post, because I think it was just a little too much information. I know that none of you pictures that life is perfect around the GreenHouse, but still... Let's just say, there are days that I think summer can't end too soon.

But there are many more days that I think summer should just keep on spinning its lazy charms. I want more downtime, less time pushing the kids to "PLEASE GET YOUR WORK DONE." I want more reading outside on a blanket, less trying to keep the house ready to show at any time. I want more happy children playing with friends and less bickering children whining about this or that or this again. So I have decided that we will take some time off of the schedule I've been forcing us all to stick to. Two and a half weeks without music lessons or practicing won't hurt too much. Two and a half weeks with less planning, less screaming, less structure...I'm breathing easier just considering it.

So here is what I hope for the rest of summer: More concerts, more friends, more pool time, more park time, more bored time, more relaxing time, more reading time. Less yelling, less fighting (As If), fewer rules, less stress. Will it salve our souls? I hope. Will it give my children some lovely memories? I hope.

(And underlying all of these plans, there is that constant hum in my brain: Will the house sell? Will we have to move? What do we do if the house doesn't sell in time? What will happen by this time next month?...I can't wait to know the answers...)

7 comments:

Gaylene said...

You are just a baby--I am in charge of count it, #30--yep, 30. Freaky isn't it. And it doesn't feel like a day over 29 7/8ths.

Amber said...

I hope the decrease in structure is a salve to your soul, too. It sure sounded great to me! Our summer starts this Friday at 11:39 am. I'll let you know how it goes on my end.

The Dunham Family said...

You are a great mom, your kids are lucky to have you. I am sure they have great memories that you have created with them.
Summer does go by fast....fun to see you at the pool!

Liz said...

AAAHHHHHH! My shoulders dropped as I typed that! Less stress sounds sooooo fantastic! I wish you all the best over the next few (very few) weeks!!!! :)

Danielle said...

We took July off from lessons and practicing. It was lovely. We've been trying to take it easier as well, because, darn it, I want a summer break too!

Our EyreLife said...

Of all my summers growing up, I don't remember my parents in many of the memories. Sure, a camping trip that stood out or a trip here and there...but most of all, summers meant PLAY and FRIENDS and TV and SPRINKLERS and POPCYCLES and NIGHT GAMES.

Surely my parents were around for all of my summers, but sometimes kids just need to be kids.

Loved this post. I think you'll all benefit from it. :)

Still hope you don't move. :)

Malisa said...

Hooray! I will pretend in was my underachieving attitude that inspired you. I hope WE get to do something in your downtime.