Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year's Resolutions/TMI



OK, just so we've got that out of the way...

Here they are.

Yes, I know I will meet very few of these. Whatever. I figure if I aim for 100 goals and hit 5, I'm still better off than if I aim for 1 and hit it.

Right?

Or is there that slight tinge of failure with every missed goal that maybe I don't need right now?

Should I just make no goals? And then I'll be happy if I manage to change out of my pjs every day? I think this sounds like a good plan.

I just can't decide.

But there is this long and lofty list that I just may try to work through:

Spiritual:

Attend the temple at least 10 times
At least one page of the Book of Mormon every day
Read Old Testament. (I downgraded this from read all the Standard Works, thanks to my friend Krisa and a healthy dose of realism.)
Keep journal of spiritual impressions.

Home Life:

Family scripture study daily
Teach children responsibility (Help here? Any ideas? Is it even possible?)
Picture of the day
Help Josh achieve his Deacon Duty to God
Work on Josh’s scouting. Get ready for his Eagle in 2011.
Kitchen and great room clean nightly
Breakfast on the table at 7:25
Menu planning
Food storage improved
Deep cleaning daily
Teach Josh and Sophie piano every week
Clean desk every day
Clean car every week
Pay bills and be aware of the money situation every week
No fines at the library (is this possible? I don't believe it is. But I'm shooting for it anyway.)
Functioning mudroom
Organized storage room
Fun family outing monthly
At least one family vacation
At least one camping trip

Relationships:

Daily service
Weekly date night with David
Weekend getaway with David
Birthday cards to family (I'm not sure I have it in me, but I'm going to try...)
At least 2 dinner parties a month
Visiting teaching complete every month

Physical:

To bed before 11:15 consistently (as if.)
1010 miles in 2010
20000 crunches in 2010 (and yes, I don't mean only crunches, but all ab exercises.)
5 pull ups in a row (don't laugh. I upgraded this from 3 when David laughed.)
Lose those last few baby pounds (I like calling them baby pounds, but we all know they're really not.)
Run a mile in 7 minutes (I want to make this faster, but I think 7 is pretty attainable, so I'm sticking with that.)
Add more strength training
Run some race some time

Mental:

Read one good book a month
Writing...not sure what yet.
Photography classes. Improve skills to better record family life.

Musical:

Recital? I just don't know. What do you think? Is once a year too often for all of you forced to be my audience members? Would you prefer every OTHER year? Or every FIVE years?
Have 20 pieces memorized
Arrange 2 pieces for beginning piano trio (piano, cello, and violin) (for the kids to play in church)

Financial:

Pay tithing on the Sunday after the paycheck EVERY TIME
Create working budget/envelope system/allowances
Be proactive
Don’t use credit cards
Get out of debt

That's it! I know!

Laughing may commence now.

13 comments:

Danielle said...

I could cut a paste oh so many of these (since I'm posting mine today too). I'm especially relieved I'm not the only one subsidizing the library or the only one challenged at pull-ups.

Jill W said...

My favorite is "No library fines." I always have a huge debt at the library.

You're going to be perfect at the end of the year.

Janae said...

Oh my! My few goals are to start exersizing & drink less soda. So far I've failed at both every single day. ;) However I do think the fun family outing every month is a GREAT idea!! We do that every 3rd saturday of the month & I HIGHLY recommend it. The kids love it almost as much as I do. :) Now I think I need to re evaluate my resolutions & set my standards a little higher. haha

Anonymous said...

Don't forgot - backing into the garage monthly.

Amber said...

Where to begin? Easy: library fines! That's how the library stays in business! I could copy your list (except for the piano bit). I think you may be too exhausted come January 6 to continue. But I do love an ambitious plan!

Liz said...

If you want, I'll help with the running a mile in 7! I'd love to see you try to keep up with me!!! Just kidding! Good luck with ALL of these!

tonandboys said...

Wowz! If I accomplish half of these goals in the next decade, I will be VERY proud of myself. No wonder you are so amazing! I am still contemplating my goals...no real decisions yet. Maybe I should make a resolution to become more decisive. Let's be honest...I hate setting goals in writing, because then I am too stubborn to actually do them. true confessions.

Gaylene said...

Two dinner parties a month? Are you crazy? I think one is good!
ONE-ONE-ONE!!! And I like the anonymous posting about the garage. Hilarious!

Kerri said...

Anonymous? Does your name happen to be John? Because you sound a lot like John...

And yes, I think I'll add NOT backing into the garage door monthly. Thanks for the reminder...

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I'll admit I felt a little desire to do some of them myself...well not the 7 minute mile or the 20000 crunches...I think I'll paint and bike slowly instead. :) xoxo, trina

Holly said...

So many of these hit close to home. Can I just steal your list?

Camilla Millar said...

Sending luck your way: I chose just one goal so I would have no excuses to attain it.

Nanda said...

You made me exhausted looking at that list. I'm tired now. I'm reaching for a diet coke to perk me up now.

I'm sticking with the food think only.

You will be perfect by year's end, that's true. But for reals, I do believe you get much farther shooting for many goals and seeing what can be achieved! I manage to find all sorts of excuses to keep my list 'simple'. :)