Friday, May 29, 2009

Bubble Wrapping Not Available

Let's face it, parenting has its moments of both sheer joy and utter despair. Tonight may not fall in the range of despair, but a lot of it has been just plain yucky.

Here's the backstory. Josh loves soccer. He played rec soccer for a few years with a wonderful team and a couple of great coaches. He wasn't a star on his team, but he played with a lot of heart. Two years ago, he made the second tier competition team for our club, and he loved it. LOVED it. The boys and parents were great, as was his coach. He learned so much, grew leaps and bounds as a player, and did I mention he LOVED it? By the end of the year, though, I could see that his skills were not quite matching those of the strongest players. He wasn't quite as aggressive as them, didn't have quite the skill level that they did. He was on the bench more and more frequently, and I just got a pit in my stomach when I thought about tryouts in May. I encouraged (kindly and supportively) Josh to practice frequently, to go on training runs, and to work hard to move forward in his ability, but when the second night of tryouts came around, it was totally obvious that Josh was being cut from his team.

That was a yucky night.

He handled his disappointment with grace. I kept a stiff upper lip, but I was devastated for him. He tried to shrug it off, and he felt like it was the right thing at that time, but it still stung, and we both knew it.

He decided to play with some other friends on a rec team this year. He's been able to really shine as a striker, has made lots of goals, and enjoyed seeing his buddies. But he wasn't really being trained, and his skills weren't really improving. He has just had a good time. (Really, in the long run, isn't that what sports are for?) It's been a very pleasant year for all of us. It's been cheaper, less stress, less travel, less car-pooling, and less time-commitment. All in all, it was a good year.

But he wanted to get back on his team.

So tonight was the last night of tryouts. He was scrappy, more aggressive than he had been last year. I had high hopes for him. And then they called numbers for the final scrimmage and it was clear who would be in the two comp teams.

Not my sweet boy.

Sometimes I want to bubble wrap my kids, to keep them safe from pain. I want to protect their bodies from being hurt, their hearts from being broken, their spirits from being crushed. But I can't. And I know it's not healthy to keep them from heartache and disappointment. Being disappointed is part of living. Pain is part of living. Without it, we never really grow. We never really improve or become better people.

I know that. And I know that it is better for my kids to learn to handle disappointment when I can still be there to help pick up the pieces, to model a good attitude, to take them out for ice cream and let them have a double scoop.

But it still stinks. And I still wish things were different.

10 comments:

Liz said...

You're such a GREAT Mom! Have I told you that before? I think we need to be bubble wrapped sometimes, too!

Gaylene said...

What a wonderful mom!!! Liz is right. This was very well said. I hope Josh reads this in years to come.

Danielle said...

I could sure use some bubble wrap right now. Josh is lucky to have you for a mom.

Lara Neves said...

It does stink, but you're right, he'll be a much better adult for it. I hate watching my kids suffer disappointments. The bubble wrap sounds like an excellent idea.

The Dunham Family said...

That was even hard for me to read. I am so sensitive to feelings.
I love, love, love, sports. However I hate when it comes to the point like you just experienced.
Just one more thing--right?

How is the house thing coming?

Malisa said...

That is sad. That's why I'm just never going to encourage my children to try for anything. Better to not have something to fail at. (Not that Josh was failing.)

No action = No dissapointment = No happiness. Darn it.

Amber said...

That is painful...wonder if it was harder for you or him? Not the highlight of motherhood, but I'm sure you made it soo much better for him.

tonandboys said...

This is so real for all of us. Being a parent is so heart-wrenching, sometimes. Your kids are lucky to have a mom that loves them so much on those hard days. I read a quote one time and I have never been able to find it again, so frustrating...but it went something like this. "As a parent, I never remove the boulders from the road. I teach my child to climb over the boulders and this will give him the strength and courage to face everything in his path." the original was better...wish I could find it. but it gets me through a lot.

Camille said...

Bubble wrap - what a good idea! Is there a better way than formaldaheide to preserve the moments and keep the sweetness? (Sp?!)

Shannon said...

I can relate to this so very much. Thanks for writing about it. It helps to know that other moms have the same feelings and that their kids go through the same hurts.