Friday, May 8, 2009

Our Little Piece of Eden

We moved onto our street nearly nine years ago. We were excited to be in this area, especially after living in an area that was...hmmm...how can I put this?....unsavory. Unsavory might mean that there were 3 murders in the 3 blocks around our house in the 5 years we lived there, that our street was blocked off by SWAT teams more times than I can remember, once (or was it twice?) even trapping Eric & Christina at our house overnight, that I once walked into my backyard holding Josh to find a strange man looking back at me, and that our home was invaded by a gang that vandalized and burglarized us, leaving behind a gun for me to find a couple of months later. Yeah, it was unsavory.

So we eventually decided to find a new house, and moved onto our circle on July 3. The next day, on the Fourth of July, I walked to the park with my brother and the kids in the stroller and I was blown away by the people sitting on their porches, visiting with neighbors, exuding 1950's camaraderie. It just felt like I'd moved to a different planet, not just a neighborhood only three miles away.

And the love affair with my neighborhood has just bloomed. I love our school, and how so many moms hang out at the kindergarten gate and chat. I love my ward, and how we have original owners of the homes mixed with young couples just married. I love that there is a decent amount of diversity here (yes, we're still in Utah, and the majority of kids at our school are blond, but there's still more diversity than I expected.) I love how close we are to the mountains. I love how close David is to work. I love running up and down the streets and seeing so many other people doing the same thing.

But most of all, I love my neighbors. I LOVE MY NEIGHBORS! (Hey, guys! I know you're reading this. Didja catch that? YOU ARE AMAZING.)

When we had moved in, there were great people living on the street. Josh had plenty of playmates, and we had a wonderful time. We have loved so many people on this street, people who have come and gone, who we still love dearly. But it has never been better than it has been for the last few years. We are surrounded by amazing families who I trust completely, whose parenting meshes with mine, who have rescued me time and time again in so many circumstances, who have been there in horrible times and in great times. These are amazing people.

My favorite thing ever? Starting in the spring, as soon as it gets warm enough, night after night after night, we sit outside on the lawn, let the kids play until all hours, talk about everything and nothing, and just soak in the beauty of simple pleasures. Liz will make her zucchini chocolate cake. The babies will sit on blankets. John will bring out the portable fire pit and we'll make smores. David will set up the volleyball net and the kids will play badminton. The rollerblades go by, the bikes go by, the soccer ball comes out, the sidewalk chalk comes out. Summer barbecues, sleeping in tents in the backyard, Fourth of July picnics and watching fireworks on the lawn...there will never be anything like these nights.





I don't want to take this beautiful thing for granted. I know we are blessed. I think paying attention to the good things make them even more valuable. So here's my payment: Life is good. I recognize it. I honor it.

11 comments:

Emilia said...

ya know...growing up in that neighborhood was amazing. We would play badminton, barefoot, until all hours of the night. We wanted to figure out how to make a glow in the dark birdie so we could keep going. It really is amazing. Having moved away from that neighborhood, I realize how incredible it is. Enjoy it while you have it! :)
And by the way...I know I saw one of your daughters in the audience at highland park...she looks just like you!

Danielle said...

We have a neighborhood like that too. It makes life so much more full. I don't know what I would do if my kids couldn't run around barefoot from house to house, while I watch with the other parents until we all force ourselves to go to bed. AHHHHHH! SUMMER!

Lara Neves said...

What a wonderful neighborhood! Reminds me of the one I grew up in, and here I had given up hope that they still existed since none I've ever lived in quite compares.

SCARY place before! I don't know how you lasted as long as you did!

Liz said...

O.K. first of all you made me cry! I sure hope odds are in our favor and Jeff gets to stay here for school!!! What a sweet post! I am soo thankful for you guys, too! Living here is truly a blessing! You need to send that to Dreyers and win us an ice cream block party!!!

Amber said...

Oh, Kerri. Your blog made me cry. That is the type of neighborhood I grew up in. I have wanted the same thing, and ours is not like it at all. Granted, we are safe and don't have the kinds of unsavory events that you had. But I would dearly love a neighborhood like that. I'd move to your block tonight if it were possible! Soak up every moment of it. Those times will be some of your children's fondest memories--as well as yours. A quick thought--is it only like that in Utah nowadays?

Stephanie said...

Wow. What a beautiful gift to live in a place with such wonderful people (not to mention those beautiful mountains I miss so much!) Unfortunately I feel like our family can relate a little closer to your previous living experience. I long for the day we find our own Eden to live in. But for now we'll stay content with drug busts and immigration raids next door. Oh, and did I mention the small explosives in our mailbox?! :) You've given me hope today Kerri!

Christina said...

I wish I had the same experience. It's what I've dreamed of (and had a little bit of in Sandy), so maybe sometimes we can come crash your gatherings?!

Eric Youngberg said...

We hope our street grows to be the same for us. We are jealous of you guys.

Lori Mills said...

Kerri-
We have that kind of neighborhood here in Oakville, Canada. There's something priceless and precious about neighbors that enjoy being friends. It takes work to create these places, but it really does make a difference for all.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, such a blessing. My parents moved us to YL after some unsavory events as well. Though, I think your neighborhood is way better than what they found. It sounds incredible...just what Carl & I talk about our "someday home" being like...:)

Anonymous said...

p.s. i thought of you first when i saw mmb was having a giveaway for 2 tickets to marvin goldstein's concert. :) hugs, trina