Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Sweet Girls



This morning I walked in from a run to sounds of screaming and yelling from the general direction of my girls' room. This is not how I like to walk into my house. I would prefer to walk into a house full of happy, smiling children who are fully dressed with their teeth brushed and hair combed, preparing breakfast and setting the table (since I'm apparently living in dreamland, maybe they would also have finished their practicing and cleaned their rooms.) Has this ever happened? Of course not, but that doesn't stop me from fantasizing.

The girls were at that almost-fever pitch where they're not entirely sure why they're so mad, but they're just bugging each other more and more and spiraling nearly out of control. I let them know that they would be doing many extra jobs if they didn't quit it immediately. They didn't quit it immediately (why do I think they will?) and Kate will now be putting away laundry after school.

But three minutes later, Kate had made Sophie's bed, and Sophie was hugging her and saying thank you, and they were all of a sudden those happy, smiling children I would always love to have.

Life with these children is never boring. And sometimes it's so sweet.

(And sometimes it makes me want to hide somewhere dark and quiet for a few hours.)

5 comments:

Lara Neves said...

I'm just happy to know your kids are just like mine.

This morning, my daughter was so excited to go on her field trip that she was up at the crack of dawn, and yet she still never did her darn practicing...no matter how much I asked. Sigh.

Danielle said...

Sounds like any given minute when Lizzie and Sarah are home at the same time. Part of me is glad its not just our family...but part of me wishes we were abnormal and had hope of fixing it.

Gaylene said...

I didn't think your kids fought! What was I, CRAZY? I guess this is real life, huh?

Amber said...

Hey, that was a pretty fast turn around. I'm impressed! Oh, they are so cute, Kerri!

Emilia said...

Maybe this is why I'm still single? Ok, not really...but it sounded good at the time. :)