Wednesday, September 22, 2010

New Friends 8.13.10

Ben and the Three Z's: Zachary, Ez, and Zeke

One of the very best things about camp was the friendships each one of my kids made with their second cousins. It was heaven to watch the bonds grow over the three days we were at camp. My cousins remain part of the fabric of my life, and I think a majority of the experiences I shared with them happened on long camping trips with little scheduled to interfere with our talking and laughing. Honestly, it was on these trips that I felt the most linked to our extended family. It wasn't always perfect, and we didn't always treat each other perfectly, but we sure loved each other.


I am blessed beyond measure with the relationships I've been given in my family. My parents, my siblings, their spouses, their children, my grandparents, my aunts, my uncles, my cousins, my cousins' spouses, and their children...it seems like that's almost more love than it's possible to contain in one life.

I was running a few weeks ago and Pearl Jam's Just Breathe started to play. Of course, the song always reminds me of our great loss, but this time I was also flooded with gratitude for how much MUCH love there is in my life. My huge family. My wonderful friends. Love unbounded. Love overflowing. I can't count on both hands AND both feet the ones I love. Sometimes I think the number is uncountable.

Yes, I understand that every life must end.
As we sit alone, I know someday we must go.
Oh I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands
the ones I love,..

Some folks just have one,
yeah, others, they've got none.
Stay with me,..
Let's just breathe.
So if you are one of those I count as one I love, thank you. I hope you feel my love, too. There's nothing like love to make our paths worth walking.

I hope that my children will find the same kind of love as they move into the world. I hope a few days at Lake Cascade will give them the beginnings of these beautiful relationships.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I am blessed to have YOU in my life! Love you!