Monday, April 20, 2009

Kate Grows Up

I have already expressed my discontent about my childrens' propensity for growing up. They just don't seem to stop, which bothers me to no end. This month has been especially emotional for me with Ben turning two (which means he's no longer a baby) and Kate turning six (which means she's no longer a little girl.) You must understand, I love each and every stage my children go through, and I don't REALLY sit, moping, because my children are getting older. But knowing that I'll never again have my four-year-old girl sounding out Dick and Jane with her curly head of hair on my shoulder, that she'll never again mispronounce spaghetti without fixing it, that my five-year-old Kate who learned to read fluently and took piano lessons with the stool for her feet on the highest level is gone to the ages, well that, my friends, is nothing short of tragic.

I don't mind nine turning to ten quite as much, or twelve turning to thirteen (I think, although maybe I'll change my mind in July.) The later stages are more fluid, the changes less dramatic. But to know that my mothering is moving from babyhood to late childhood and youth...that may be the crux of the matter. I never pictured myself in this stage. People with teenagers are OLD, and ESTABLISHED, and should HAVE A CLUE about being a grown-up. I'm not any of these things, am I? (I am? Really? Well, maybe the first two, but having a clue? You've got me confused with someone else. Someone OLDER...)

But oh, this is about Kate, not me and all of my angst.

So here she is, my sweet sweet Kate:









Kate loves to play piano, to read, to play with friends, to snuggle up her Daddy, to play outside. She likes Polly Pockets, dolls, and stuffed animals. She is a kind sister and friend who loves to take care of her Benny. She likes to try new foods, and loves cucumbers, Cafe Rio burritos, peanut sauce and sticky rice, Swedish pancakes, and lettuce. She truly blossomed into an amazing young girl while she was five. I can't wait to see what she does at six...because although I'm torn about it, she's going to keep growing up. Since I can't stop this train, I might as well jump on board and enjoy the ride.

6 comments:

The Dunham Family said...

She is a beautiful girl. Love the pictures.
I recognize the infant outfit--Maggie had the same one!

Amber said...

How precious!! I mourn the passing of the baby and toddler stage in each of my kids, too. I sometimes wish I could have each one at my favorite stage for one day, just to remember and hug them in that way. She looks so much like you! What a doll.

Lori Mills said...

Kerri-
You do such an amazing job of putting your thoughts into words. What a gift. Thanks for making me slow down for a bit to realize I don't mourn the growth of my kids ENOUGH. I'm one of those moms that can't wait for the next stage of independence. Life moves too fast, so I need to appreciate the moments that add up to days, weeks, years. Thanks for your blog- it's a great day brightener!

Camilla Millar said...

She is a very special and mature young lady.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, and Kerri, you have a beautiful way with words.

Gaylene said...

You're making me cry about this--Kate can't be 6, but then Josh isn't going to be 13. I refuse to believe this. I remember you being ppregnant with Josh. Your old, how do you think I feel.
This was a wonderful tribute to Kate.

Liz said...

I, too, LOVED seeing the pictures of Miss Kate over the years! We LOVE that girl! She can walk herself over and invite the boys to ride bikes ANY TIME! She is soooo sweet, and a good calm friend to my little Chad and Kyle!