Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Seriously? Seriously.

So Josh has a fever for the 14th day in a row.

WHAT?

And David got it yesterday.

For real. The knock-you-down, throw-you-into-bed influenza. He suffered through work yesterday somehow, but last night he was so miserable that he didn't sleep more than half the night. And he has literally slept six or seven hours so far today.

Then Ben woke up at 6:30 with the hacking cough that means we're about to enjoy the croup! Huzzah! Does that explain the non-stop runny nose he's had since Monday? The kind that is like a slow faucet, never stopping, never releasing me from the insanity of nose slime? Oh well, at least it's not the flu...yet...but even if it's not the flu, it's making him cranky, needy, and clingy. All good things, right?

And all the dresses I ordered for my recital don't fit.

And I had to miss helping in kindergarten and couldn't find anyone to sub for me. I hate leaving the teacher in the lurch like that.

And I couldn't go to the viewing or funeral of a man in our ward, due to all the sickies at my house, and that made me sad. I wanted to be there to support his family. But my family came first, I decided, and tried not to feel guilty.

So I worked on making a cake for his funeral. I thought I'd do something a little nicer than normal and made a pumpkin cake. While it cooled, I went downstairs to work on the evite for my recital. Until I heard some suspicious noises from upstairs. (Will I NEVER LEARN?) And found Ben had pushed a chair over to the oven and gone to town on the cake with a spatula and his little snotty fingers.


Yeah. I was excited.

And then Ben colored on my piano keys with a pencil.

And then I made another cake, realizing that the chances were slim of getting it to the church by the time the family was back from the cemetery, but I had volunteered a cake, and I was going to deliver that darned cake. And I did, but frosting a warm cake (even with my delicious chocolate frosting) is a disaster waiting to happen. And the cake wasn't pretty. And I had wanted it to be pretty. And I was feeling really sad about my sad cake and its sad frosting.

And then I delivered it and one of the older ladies in the ward said, "I told the others earlier that you always bring a hot cake and the frosting for us to put on later."

Seriously? Seriously. I mean, you say that? Honestly. I told myself that I didn't need to be offended (and if that has happened before with the DOZENS of cakes I've made for our funerals (we have an old ward), it has maybe been ONE TIME. Once. And Really? You'd bring that up?) So much for my whole "I never get offended" thing. I got sad. And maybe even cried a little on the way home, because it has just been one of those days.

And then I came home, and Liz called me from across the street, and I couldn't hide my stupid red eyes (because when I cry, it's not really something I can hide), and she was offering me SOUP. HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP. Because she's just that awesome, that's why, and she didn't even know I was sad. That's what I call a friend, girl. Amazing. And she let me blubber, and I didn't name names (which is so Christlike of me). And she didn't ask for names (which is so Christlike of her.)

And then I went into the house and woke up David from his sick sleep and cried some more and said, "I just need to go on a run" and he said "Go for it" and I did it, and it wasn't feeling great, but I did it anyway, and when I came home, I felt much much better.

And then I realized it was April Fool's Day, so I decided to play a prank. I posted this picture:


(remember it from Halloween?) as my profile picture in Facebook, changed my religion to Fundamentalist and let the fun begin. One girl who doesn't know me well kind of believed it for a minute, I'm afraid. So that was a bright spot.

And now I'm feeling better almost all the way around.

Except (and I'm NOT lying) Kate just came downstairs telling me that Ben is coloring on my piano again.

Seriously.

14 comments:

Gaylene said...

Okay--I knew I should have come over--at least after I dropped off the soup for the funeral, and you wouldn't let me. I could have wiped Ben's nose, or watched the cake before paddy fingers got it or something. And I'm sorry someone said that to you But nooooooo!So next time I'll just do it. And I love the April Fool's posting. It was great.

The Dunham Family said...

Oh man--what a day! I think you are wonderful for making a new cake over to the ward. Way to go the extra mile.

And what do you mean, you do not have a dress that fits for the recital? The one in the picture looks perfect! LOL

An optimist would say: Better to have this horrible day now, than on the day of your recital. Get it over with now!

Stephanie said...

Ugh. This post reminds me of the book, "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day". And yet, you are wonderful through it all, doing service, taking care of sick family, playing a practical joke on facebook (which was VERY funny!!) and just being wonderful you.

Hope things get better for you, and soon. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Camilla Millar said...

Oh, Kerri-- that truly is a bad day.

I was also feelin' poopy about the missing mom, but Eliza told me that Reed S. helped--so it all worked out just fine. . .now you just need to work on getting that family healthy.

Liz said...

Your first cake was DELICIOUS, so I'm SURE you're second cake was DELICIOUS!!! I'm glad I'm just that comfortable to just sneak a taste when no one is around! :) Too bad Ben is that comfortable to sneak tastes, too! That rascal!!! AND, will the sickness NEVER END??? You come and cry ANY TIME!!!

Danielle said...

Oh, Kerri...that is truly a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day! When you find out what Josh has, let me know, because we are on day 8 of Hannah's fever. YIKES!

Emilia said...

All I can say is, I know that feeling...and it sucks. Sorry about your day. Hope tomorrow is better!

Camille said...

I agree - it was a day! But, I think all things considered you did great! You even remembered that it was April Fool's Day, which I did not! Tending 12 kids during a 3 hr funeral was a bit wearing, I think. I hope that I don't pass on any of those snotty nose bugs to my own darling daughter (who came with her own, mind you!) And a huge thank you to Holly for making my soup for me... I couldn't since I was tending at the ward instead of at my house (I found out 10 min before I was supposed to be there!!!) Get better, everyone!

Amber said...

Oh, boy!! You survived that day, wow! I can soo feel your pain!! There were many laughs in this post, but by far the best was the picture. That was just divine. As for the sickness, are you sure he doesn't have mono? Good Luck!!

Regina said...

Oh Kerri- that is the worst day ever! I can't believe that woman said that to you! I love how women are just SO SUPPORTIVE of each other some times. Sigh.

tonandboys said...

This sounds like a day in the life of..well me. I am so sorry! I can honestly say that I completely feel your pain. I have dealt with so many unkind and grumpy women lately that I have started telling myself, "she must be going through menopause or she is Definitely pregnant, poor girl. yeah I am going to go with that" I wish that always made me feel better, but at least it makes me smile.

Laurel said...

Okay Friend - you need to seriously learn to first say NO and if for some insane reason you say yes & you have a house full of sickness - you cater by debit card - It is a cake and they will eat a homemade one as well as a store/bakery bought cake. Easy - but it does sound like a terrible day for you - but SERIOUSLY stop!!!

Anonymous said...

SERIOUSLY, I'm soo sending you hugs! The icing was definitely the comment...don't you love how they usually come when you've done all you can amidst the madness and even made a second cake? I'm glad you cried. That's what I would have done!

And your sweet neighbor! The best thing, like Amber said, was the photo. Way to go for getting a laugh out of the day and taking time for yourself. luvs, katrina

Tracy said...

Kerri, not much else to say other than what your wonderful friends said, but I DO want to say that you are an incredible, wonderful lady. The adversary SO does not want you to accomplish the good, develop and share your talents, and you know, just have things go right. But you are amazing. Thank you for your awesome spirit I feel about you!!!