Monday, April 13, 2009

Recital Program and Program Notes



(If you've already seen this on Facebook, I'm sorry! I discussed the recital in a little more detail here, if you need something ELSE to read about the recital. Oh, and I'm taking requests...if you have a favorite piece for my next recital, tell me what it is and I'll consider it. No Fur Elise, though.)

It was fantastic and fun and totally worth all the time and energy. Thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers. I appreciate them!


Kerri Green, piano
7 April 2009
6:00 p.m.
Steinway Hall at Daynes Music
“Dedication”

For my parents~

Etude in C minor, Op. 10, No. 12, Revolutionary
Frédèric Chopin
(1810-1849)

For my children~

For Ben~
Aria from the Goldberg Variations, BWV 988
Johann Sebastian Bach
(1685-1750)
For Sophie~
Prelude in G Major, Op. 32, No. 5
Sergei Rachmaninoff
(1873-1943)
For Kate~
Prelude in D-flat Major, Op. 11, No. 15
Alexander Scriabin
(1872-1915)
For Josh~
Berceuse, Op. 57 Frédèric Chopin

For my mother-in-law~

Prelude in D-flat Major, Op. 28, No. 15, Raindrop
Frédèric Chopin

Just for myself~

Canción y danza No. 5
Federico Mompou
(1893-1987)

For David~

Sheep May Safely Graze
Johann Sebastian Bach
transcribed by Egon Petri
(1881-1962)

Widmung, Op. 25, No. 1
Robert Schumann
(1810-1856)
transcribed by Franz Liszt
(1811-1886)


Program Notes

This recital began as a thought early this year that I would love to perform music for those I love, dedicated TO those I love. I have had a list of possible repertoire in my mind for a few years, but the time never seemed right. Finally, the spark came, and I began practicing in earnest. It has been a fun few months, and I hope you enjoy this recital, dedicated to all of you, my friends and family that I love so dearly. Thank you for everything you have done for me and for my family over the years. My life is so blessed with all of you in it.


Revolutionary Etude

I began to learn this piece in high school, and my parents (especially my dad) loved it. I never did perform it, although I relearned it for my dad’s 60th birthday, so this is my official Revolutionary Etude debut. I think it represents the big Romantic showpieces for which the piano is so well-known. My parents dedicated so much time, effort, and money for me to become a pianist, and I cannot express enough how thankful I am for their support.


The pieces for my children

When I was pregnant with Josh, I decided to learn a piece especially for him. I had a wonderful time going through repertoire, talking with friends, and listening to music to find just the right piece. When I did, I played it often before and after he was born. This became a tradition with each of my pregnancies, and the results are the four pieces in this group. I played through countless pieces to find the music that best fit my feelings about each pregnancy. I’ve never memorized or performed any of these in public, so it’s been a joy to really make them part of me. My kids have often started to request I practice “their” pieces at bedtime.

Josh’s piece, the Berceuse, is a cradle song, a lullaby. I loved this piece with its gentle rocking accompaniment. Sophie’s piece, the Rachmaninoff prelude, has both simple and complex elements. I was drawn to the simplicity and elegance of Kate’s piece, the Scriabin prelude. The Aria, Ben’s piece, is the theme of Bach’s Goldberg Variations, one of my all-time favorite pieces of music.


Raindrop Prelude

I learned this prelude (with all of Op. 28) for my senior recital. David’s parents bought me my dress for that recital and were as supportive of me and my music then as they have been always. My mother-in-law allowed me to teach in her home in Heber for many years, and even babysat Josh for some of that time. She has been a kind and loving person in my life and I am grateful for her. When I asked David what I should play for his mom, both of us thought of this prelude. She often commented that she loved this piece, and I think of her whenever I hear it.


Canción y danza No. 5

Federico Mompou was a Catalonian-Spanish composer who wrote mainly for the piano. His grandfather was a bell-maker. Mompou spent time in his factory and worked there briefly. You can often hear bell-like qualities in his music. He studied piano and harmony at the Paris Conservatory as a young man, and spent many years in Paris, both before and after WWI. He was especially influenced by Erik Satie, with his simple melodies and evocative harmonies.


Sheep May Safely Graze

David went with the Utah Symphony on their European tour in the spring of 2005. Leon Fleischer toured with them, and each night he performed, he would play this piece as an encore. David fell in love with it and asked me to learn it for him.


Widmung (Dedication)

Robert Schumann wrote Widmung, one of his most well-loved songs, in 1840, the year he finally was able to marry the love of his life, the pianist Clara Wieck.

I have performed this song with many singers, and have always loved it and its text. For our anniversary one year David and I attended a recital given by Van Cliburn. He played this Liszt transcription of the song, and I knew it would be one of “our” pieces.

David has always encouraged me and helped me to succeed. I remember many nights in the music building, after hours and hours of practicing, David would show up with dinner to help me get in just a little bit more time. He has given up a lot of comfort in the last few months to let me practice just that extra hour or two here and there. I am grateful for his sacrifices for me and for our family.

The English translation of the text (by Friederich Rückert) is:

You my soul, you my heart,
You my bliss, you my pain,
You the world in which I live;
You my heaven, in which I float,
O you my grave, into which
I eternally cast my grief.

You are the rest, you are the peace,
You are the heaven upon me bestowed.
That you love me makes me worthy of you;
Your gaze transfigures me;
You raise me lovingly above myself,
My good spirit, my better self.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

I am still sorry I missed the big night. Sheep May Safely Graze is one of my all-time favorites!

Brett Abbott said...

Hot Cross Buns? No? Maybe next time.

Lara Neves said...

I love this idea of dedicating the music to particular people in your life.

Perhaps next time I do a recital I will copy you. :) Thanks for sharing, I just randomly clicked into your blog and I really like it!

Heidi said...

Kerri,
You inspire me! I took lessons from you at BYU for a couple of years and you were like a breath of fresh air for me. I learned so much from you and I appreciate you filling in the gaps of what I was lacking in my music education. As I was reading some piano teaching blogs today to prepare group lessons for my students I thought of you and "googled" you. I appreciate what a positive and encouraging teacher you were for me. I also was glad to see that I'm not the only one who has struggled to get my own kids to practice and listen to my suggestions during practice. I finally resorted to swapping with another friend who teaches so our kids can have to answer to someone else but mom.
Thank you for being the kind of piano teacher I aspire to become someday!
Heidi (Knight) Neal

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.