Saturday, April 25, 2009

Park City Getaway

Yesterday I headed up (By Myself) to Park City to meet Lyndsey, Debi, and Marissa to celebrate Lyndsey's birthday (I won't say which one, but it was a big one...). I drove (By Myself) with no radio on, no one talking, and no noise other than the gentle hum from the road under the tires. I thought big thoughts and small thoughts (By Myself) and didn't get interrupted by anyone, young or old.

We stayed in a lovely condo at the base of Main Street. We had dinner up the street, went to Albertson's to get treats and a movie, had cake and opened presents, talked, and watched a movie until almost 2 in the morning. I didn't have to brush anyone else's teeth, change any diapers, put any small people to bed and then put them back to bed and then back to bed again. I slept until 9 blessed 15 in the morning. Did you read that? 9:15. 9:15. 9:15. Ahhhhh...doesn't it sound lovely?

The others wanted McDonald's for breakfast, and I wanted a run. They dropped me off at Kimball Junction and I ran back to the condo. I took a shower in the empty condo, ate ice cream for breakfast (Cherry Garcia. Yummy.) and drove to the Outlet Mall to meet up with the others. I was BY MYSELF for more than TWO HOURS.

We shopped, we talked, I called David who said, "We're great. Stay longer," we had lunch, and I drove home in a quiet car, watching the windshield wipers move back and forth. Again, no radio, no talking, no noise. Bliss.

When I got home, I was greeted with hugs, kisses, and a clean closet, courtesy of my sweet David. Ben kept his arms around my neck for much of the next hour. And there was yelling, fighting, Ben slamming doors on Kate, people whining about having to work all day long, and various and sundry other complaints. And guess what? Still bliss. Life is supposed to be messy. We don't grow when it's easy. But that doesn't change the joy of a day of ease.

9 comments:

Danielle said...

SO JEALOUS!

Elisa said...

That is a beautiful post!

(You ran all the way from Kimball Junction BACK to Park City?? I think I just got a leg cramp.)

Wendi said...

All I can say is that it sounds just like you described... heaven! Good for you and good for David. Don't you love to feel rejuvenated?

Gaylene said...

Yay for girls nite and day out!! Yay for David (and I must say, he was very calm at the church while we were cleaning)! Yay for getting to be alone, and then we get to come home to hugs and kisses. That's the best.

Liz said...

AAAAHHHHHH! Glad you could get AWAY! I didn't even run today! You're awesome!

Lisa said...

Sounds wonderful.

The truth is the day of peace wouldn't have been as enjoyable if you didn't have the other life to contrast with it.

Amber said...

Good for you! That does sound so fabulous. Don't you just love the reception you get when you come back from something like that?

Lara Neves said...

Those kinds of getaways are just so nice! And I suppose it is good that they don't happen every day.

Great post!

Laurel said...

Did I just read that you ate ice cream for breakfast!!!!