Friday, June 12, 2009

Summer Piano Lessons

Kate has had a wonderful year with her amazing piano teacher, Bridget McBride. She has made fantastic progress and has loved every second of it. OK, well ALMOST every second of it. She does gripe here and there. She's a normal kid, and sometimes practicing isn't easy to do when there are TV shows to watch, friends to play with, and art projects to attack.

Some time in the last few months, Josh and Sophie have noticed that Kate's progress seems a little bit quicker than their progress. They both decided they would like to try lessons from Bridget, so today is the big day! All three of my kids have a lesson this morning. I'm excited for them and grateful for Bridget. However, I'm also embarrassed that she is going to see just how badly I've done as a teacher for them.

When I was in college, our pedagogy professor asked us all to swear not to teach our own children. He said it was a very bad idea, and almost never was successful. I thought I could prove him wrong. I've been teaching since I was 19, and I've had some great successes. I know my craft.

But he was right.

My children simply don't listen to me as a professional. They don't take my suggestions seriously. (What's THAT about? Don't all children just soak in everything their parents try to teach them?) There have been many tears at the piano bench over the last few years, and eventually I kind of gave up, and let them get away with the bare minimum. Sorry, kids! But sending them to another teacher didn't seem like a possibility with my crazy teaching schedule, and I hoped they'd learn all their musical lessons from their cello and violin teachers.

Today, however, we start a new era! I'm interested to see how this experiment will pay off.

7 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Very wise professor you had there. :)

I play the piano adequately...like, I can play all the hymns and most of the ward choir music people put in front of me, but I know I'm not a piano teacher. I tried that a couple times when we needed money and people asked. I hated it.

And yet, I still tried to teach my kids the piano. It was awful. Now they have a "real" teacher and it's amazing the difference.

Can't wait to hear how they all do with the new teacher!

Gaylene said...

This is why my sister doen't play--mom tried to teach her because no one else would take her--she was and is still very wild! She has what we call today ADHD!!!

Danielle said...

I think you are brave to even attempt it. I am so grateful for Lizzie's piano teachers. They have worked miracles. So, hats off to piano teachers everywhere. I'm so thankful to not be one of them.

Holly said...

Okay, I never remember learning that in pedagogy. It could have saved me and my children much pain and tears. I have been on the lookout for a teacher for my kids but I am so picky. I have been observing the MTAC teachers in San Diego and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. If only I were in Orange County the possibilities would be endless.

Shannon said...

That's exciting! I hope they love it!

Our EyreLife said...

I swore (and still do) that I will NEVER coach my own children. Sure, I'll throw them around and get them used to flipping and flying upside down, but COACHING? NO WAY. I've vowed to put my kids in things I have NO CLUE about so that I can't even put in "my two cents." Too tempting. Too distructive. I know. I've seen parents try too many times and lose patience, battles, and worst of all, relationships.

:)

So I say YAY!!! And let us know how it goes!

Camille said...

I'm glad that my mom started me off on piano -- and I'm grateful that I also got to take from my neighbor, my grandma, and other wonderful teachers. Mostly, I'm grateful for the opportunities I've had to play over the years -- If you don't use it, you loose it, right! Here's to summer practicing... good luck!