Monday, June 22, 2009

Wasatch Back 2009

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

The parts:

12 girls.
2 vans (OK, one van and one SUV).
188 miles.
30 hours and 43 minutes.
Gatorade.
Little sleep.
Lots of cheering.
Bagels and cold pizza.
Hills and valleys and cities and pastures.
Crazy Utah weather.

The whole:

Amazing.
Inspiring.
Hysterical.
Overwhelming.
Hot.
Cold.
Dry.
Wet.
Exhausting.
Painful.
Blissful.

Mostly blissful.




This was not really about running really fast or trying to get a PR (good thing, too, or I would be disappointed). This was about pushing ourselves further than we thought we could and learning a lot about ourselves and our teammates in the process.

I was so impressed with the women I ran with. Our van was supportive and happy and funny and kind and interesting. Malisa survived on 30 minutes of sleep, did almost all of the driving, and cheered on Marianne through her nearly 10 miles in the middle of the night when the rest of us had crashed. Marianne ran those 10 with a migraine, and kept a good attitude. Cody and Malisa had never run distances before. Cody had an amazing climb, which she did with a smile. Malisa nailed her climb at 1:30 am. Mindy didn't seem to mind hanging with a bunch of women over 30, and had the best deep, dark secret by far. And Christa was just an animal. AMAZING. Fast. And funny.

When we met Van 1 at our first exchange, it looked as if none of them had run a mile. They looked gorgeous and maybe just a little bit tired. Julie ran up a dusty nasty hill and her hair looked better than mine ever does. Katie has a nursing baby and fed her at various points on the trail, and still managed to conquer a crazy hill on Saturday. Marysa fought bronchitis through the whole race. Tricia was always smiling, and man, that girl has biceps. And Bliss and Liz...what can I say about these two? I can say this. They both ran more than 18 miles for their own legs, but then when we got to Guardsman Pass, they jumped in our van to help support us. Liz ran with Marianne up part of her leg, and then they each hopped out and ran part of the way with me to help pace me. I know I was a little bit wacky and was talking all crazy philosophical junk and they just let me ramble on and on. Strong, beautiful women with huge hearts. And Liz, my co-captain...what a woman. I am blessed to be her friend. She ran with Marianne and me, like I said, but also with Tricia and Mindy. That is some huge team spirit.

So it all boils down to this. I started up Ragnar (my last leg, the second half of Guardsman Pass. 1700 foot gain over 4 miles. Gorgeous but nasty.), realizing that I wasn't going to be able to run the whole thing, but recognizing that it was OK, that I had worked hard to get there, and that my best effort was going to be enough. I've struggled with some internal battles in the last year. I have this crazy perfectionist in my head that keeps trying to convince me that I'm not quite there yet, that my efforts are not quite enough. As I ran and hiked, climbing this mountain, my iPod started playing "Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard. The rain was falling, my feet were moving through the mud, and the music said:

"You have struggled enough
And warred with yourself.
It's time that you won."

Some big ol' cosmic yes welled up inside. All of the planning, all of the worry, all of the early morning training...it was all for that one moment. Will I forget this lesson? Oh, yeah, probably by next week. But one day, maybe it will sink in.

And here are some more Wasatch Back pictures:

15 comments:

Liz said...

Well my friend...you managed to make me ball all over again!!! You put it all so well...will you write my blog entry as well??? (I said "well" 3 times just now!!!) Still a little sleep deprived? I think so..was it all worth it..I KNOW so!!! I love you like a sistah!

Christina said...

I wish I was as eloquent as you! Way to go! I hope we have as much fun for the family relay! Here we go. . .

Malisa said...

Good post - in fact, too good. I don't want to write mine anymore. I might just link to yours. You pretty much covered it all!

What an experience!!

Marianne said...

Holy cow, girl, you just made me burst into tears reading this. What an indescribable experience, but I think you nailed it for me! So glad to have found the love for you girls.

Danielle said...

Okay, you have inspired me that one day I MIGHT be as cool as you! NICE JOB. Maybe in a couple of years, I'll be doing the "Back."

Janae said...

Ok. All I can say about this adventure of yours is that I WISH I COULD DO THAT WITH YOU!!! I hate running too..a lot..but I still wish I could do that with you! It looks like such a great bonding thing to do with friends and QUITE the achievement I must say!! You should all feel very, very proud of yourselves! I envy each & every one of you who accomplished such a task! NICE JOB!!

Lara Neves said...

Great work! I am so not a runner, but I totally appreciate those that are.

I had a few other friends do this, too. Very cool.

Jenny said...

Kerri, I didn't know you were a runner! Have you always been? That's so awsome way to go you look sooooo good!

The Dunham Family said...

Way to go Kerri and gals! I was thinking of you--especially when it was raining. So glad you guys survived and had fun.

Anonymous said...

Seriously soo impressed! Sounds like the event of a lifetime. And you do look fabulous girl! The weather over here was definitely interesting and I couldn't help but think about you all weekend...especially with the weather, and as I'd see crazy people dressed up and running down Midway lane. Glad you had a blast, sounds like an awesome group of gals and that you'll be bound for life!

Thx for your sweet msg btw, so glad David enjoyed the painting. I loved painting it! hugs, trina

Shannon said...

Really, really cool, Kerri! I hate running, but that looks fun enough to make me try again.

Christa said...

Oh how I loved loved loved it all! I really can't stop talking about how great it was. I finally able to walk again, so I guess that's a good thing! It was so great being in such a great van with such great people! thanks for the good times and letting me be a part of it!

Ilsa said...

Kerri, I loved your photos and amazing description. Congratulations on a huge accomplishment!!! It looks and sounded like you had a great time and a phenomenal bunch of women to share it with!
xo Ilsa

Heather of the EO said...

Wow. What an amazing experience!

I've often said that there's a runner buried somewhere in me. I haven't pulled her out yet, but it inspires me to try when I read things like this.

Thank you for de-lurking and for your kind words. I love that writing my true thoughts and feelings on motherhood (and other stuff:) brings validation to other people. That's a beautiful thing.

Peace,
Heather

Our Family said...

I finally am getting to reading some blogs- but good job!