Thursday, June 18, 2009

Wasatch Back, Here We Come...


So tomorrow (oops, I mean today. Better go to bed...) is the day I've been waiting for. Three years ago, pregnant with Ben, I got a flyer about some crazy relay all through the backcountry of northern Utah. That was it for me. Love at first sight. Why did it take me so long to actually do something about it? Life. It gets in the way sometimes.

But the Wasatch Back and I have been destined to get together. And I've pulled in some of my favorite people and some people I'm just getting to know to join me on this adventure. By the end of this weekend, I think we'll know each other all too well. And that's good, right?

Our team name started out as the Sugarhouse Sistah Wives. Liz and I thought we were very clever. We could go with french braids, high poofs, and floral running skirts for our team costumes. After all, I do have experience in this style...


(DId I seriously just post that again? Yup.)

But somehow the name didn't thrill the rest of the team. What? You didn't want to drive in a van with "Plyg Rig" on the back? OK. Fine.

So we went with White Lightning. This is very funny. Do you get it? First of all, we're all pretty white. Well, I'M pretty white. I'm the Whitest Lightning. See. I'm very funny. And also, we're not really fast. Isn't this so funny? You're totally getting it, right? Irony? We're s.l.o.w....so it'd be like calling Liz "Shorty" and me "Tally." Except "Tally" isn't a good nickname, is it?

Oh my goodness, I need to go to bed.

Anyway, brilliant Julie thought that we'd better make the irony clear, so she designed a snail out of a lightning bolt to paint on the two cars. She didn't want anyone to think that we really thought we were lightning fast, and I must say I agree with her. It would be pretty sad for someone to be excited to see how quickly I can run up Guardsman Pass simply because I'm from a team called White Lightning. Because I can not run up Guardsman Pass very quickly.

Maybe I should also draw a whisky bottle crossed out to make it clear that we don't like moonshine.

Tonight we decorated cars and sized up the equipment, not to mention each other. White van or silver van? How many coolers? Theme song? Who suffers from motion sickness and has to sit up front? Who draws the best lightning bolts (that would be Malisa. Sorry, Marianne.)? Who wants to pick up the cold pizza tomorrow?

And now I go off to bed... I should probably have done that before I wrote this post. I'm a little delirious.

I'll report after I get home. And take a shower. And eat. And sleep.

6 comments:

Gaylene said...

Funny, Funny. Hope you do well! But seriously, you need som SLEEP!!!

Danielle said...

Say hi to everyone from Heber who's running...there are a lot of them. Have fun!

Lara Neves said...

Good luck! Sounds like lots of fun (well, fun if you like to run.)

Shannon said...

Kerri, you are my hero. You know that, right? I hope you have a great time!

Liz said...

You're so funny! I can't think of anything else to say right now...I NEED SOME SLEEP!!! But I'm addicted to my computer! :) YOU ROCK! I'm crying AGAIN! Wow that was amazing!!!! Love you!

MaMa eNCHaNTeD said...

I'm a friend of Malisa's, and am trying to get a bit of what happened on the W Back since she hasn't posted about it yet. Very impressive and inspiring. I wanna know more about the sister-wife in running shoes pic.....