Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Giving Thanks, Days 1-4

My friend Jessie posted something she was thankful for every day last November, and I loved it. She just started up again, which reminded me that I had planned to copy her (imitation is the highest form of flattery, after all...)

So, here are my first four days:

Nov. 1

I am grateful for David.

He is an amazing man. He has a remarkable will and so much strength. He is funny, (sometimes ridiculously so), he is kind, and he loves me with all his heart. He is a tender and sweet dad. I knew he would be an amazing father even before I ever knew I would marry him. He works extremely hard. He has an amazing artistic eye and ear. When I was getting ready for recitals, I could always count on him to give me his honest (sometimes hard to take) opinion and that my playing would improve as a result. He makes up crazy songs. He is a loyal friend, and I have never doubted his faithfulness. He is a good man to the core.




Nov. 2

I am grateful for my children.

Being a mother is a beautiful, difficult, amazing role. These four people are full of life, energy, wisdom, and curiosity. They teach (and test) me every day. I believe we have known each other for eons, from time before this world, and I am grateful to be their mother. It's not an easy task. I don't always think I have what it takes, but I am grateful for their goodness and their humor and their intelligence.



Nov. 3

I am grateful for this amazing world.

I love our world. I love the seasons. I love the wild open spaces around me.



Nov. 4

I am grateful for America.

Having just returned from voting (Go Obama!) (but it's ok if you say Go McCain. We can all be friends.), I was reminded how amazing our country is. We get so caught up in the negative aspects of modern life in America sometime, and it's easy to forget that we live in a truly amazing country. I walked into a polling location, gave my name, received the chance to vote my mind without pressure of any kind. I didn't wake up nervous that there would be violence at the polling location, or that someone would try to pressure me into voting for a certain candidate. Those who have fought for my freedom are dear to me. I'm so thankful that I have the opportunity to speak dissenting words without fear of persecution or imprisonment. While I wish we would be kinder in the election process, and certainly less divisive, I'm very aware of the beauty of what we have.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I love this idea! I may just flatter you an your friend and copy it too.

Malisa said...

Go Obama. He he.

Christina said...

Great idea, Kerri. I love the picture of Dave.