Friday, April 23, 2010

Dog 4.14.10


Our Natalia is fourteen. She's lived a good long life, but her health has definitely deteriorated and last summer we thought we might lose her. We've known ever since that our time with her is limited, and we've prepared ourselves for her loss as much as possible.

But we were shocked and so saddened by the sudden death of my brother and sister-in-law's dog, Meg. Meg lost a leg shortly after they moved to Utah and has been a tripod ever since, whacking us with her ridiculously long tail, making us happy with her happy personality. She was only ten, and the thought of losing her had never crossed our minds.

So tonight I gave Tally some extra love and extra attention, even though she's been ultra-disgusting lately. She's been such a good and loyal friend, even though she's smelly, half-blind, and three-quarters-deaf. I'm trying to enjoy the time we have left with her and cherish her a little more.

That's easier when she's not disgusting or running away, but still. She loves us unconditionally. I'm going to work on loving her the same way.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I so need that attitude with Holly. I'm struggling with feeling the love.