Friday, July 9, 2010

Brent. One Month.

I really don't have many words today, although I feel them pushing and shoving in my head, wanting to get out.

He's still gone.

Isn't that terrible? I haven't yet woken up and discovered (to my delight) that it's all just been a bad bad dream.

I haven't written many things that need to be written. I haven't written about memories of him. I haven't written about the funeral. I haven't posted a lot of pictures.

I thought I'd do all that today, but it can all wait.

Instead, here is a George Santayana sonnet a friend sent us.

With you a part of me hath passed away,
For in the peopled forest of my mind
A tree made leafless by this wintry wind
Shall never don again its green array.
Chapel and fireside, country road and bay,
Have something of their friendliness resigned;
Another, if I would, I could not find,
And I am grown much older in a day.
But yet I treasure in my memory
Your gift of charity, and young heart’s ease,
And the dear honor of your amity:
For these once mine, my life is rich with these.
And I scarce know which part may greater be—
What I keep of you, or you rob from me.

Love you, Brentie B. Miss you.

3 comments:

Liv said...

I'm so sorry about this situation. I was at the Segullah retreat last month and have checked your blog a few times since then.

Thank you for reminding me to appreciate my family every day that I have them here. I am very close with my 3 siblings and I'm brought to tears every time I think of one of them leaving this earth.

Jessie Eyre said...

I'm in tears, Ms Kerri. I'm so sorry. You're in my thoughts and prayers...

Danielle said...

One of these days you will find me on your doorstep to give you the huge hug I've been wanting to give you for a month. Seriously. I'm gassing up the car.