Friday, July 2, 2010

Lost Dog, Found Dog 6.2.10


In a series of unfortunate events (involving me falling asleep on a beanbag near the back door after I let the dog out), I lost Tally overnight (and it was a cold and wet night) and for most of the next day.

I searched and searched and searched the neighborhood, by foot and car. I called both the Salt Lake and Davis County animal control offices. I called all nearby vets. And I said a lot of prayers.

After all of my searching with no finding, I thought there was little chance she'd return to the GreenHouse. After all, she IS 14. And she was somewhere, soaking wet, in the cold night air. So part of the time I searched for her was looking at the bottoms of gullies and in vacant lots to see if she tried to take cover from the weather and just couldn't get out again.

Just as hope was nearly gone, at 4:00 in the afternoon, after she'd been gone 16 LONG hours, I got a call from a man saying she'd just walked into his yard. Thank goodness for my cell phone number on her tags.

And where was this house? At the very end of our street. Not 1/4 mile away. When I went to pick her up, she was so happy hanging out with him that she didn't want to get in the van. And the only side effects of her little jaunt? Her hips were a little sore and she was pretty darned tired.

Where was she for 16 hours? No idea. But I know where she is now. Wandering around the basement, sniffing everything in sight, hoping for a treat of some kind to show up on the carpet.

She's not the most alert dog anymore, and she's pretty stinky. But we're grateful that she's still with us.

No comments: